Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikander
The result of the assembly seats of five states i.e Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Manipur, Punjab and Goa stood at 2 – 3 where Modi’s BJP won Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand with a humongous majority while Congress clean sweeps Punjab and has an edge in both Goa & Manipur which indicates they are likely to form government there. In Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand there is clear advantage Narender Modi as he single handily lead the campaign and sidelined every opposition. Congress – Samajwadi Party alliance against Narendra Modi’s Bhartiya Janata Party failed miserably even though his speeches, his actions were labeled by the opposition as ways of polarizing the people of the state.
Punjab witnessed victory of Capatain Amrinder Singh more than the Congress party who’s Vice President Rahul Gandhi was initially against fielding him as the Chief Minister. In Manipur Congress’s Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh succeeded in securing his fourth term as the chief minister. Irom Sharmila lost to him pathetically. The lady who gave all his life to the cause of the people can’t secure even hundred votes. The surprise in Manipur is the tremendous debut of BJP which won twenty one seats. Uttarakhand also gave clear majority to BJP, even the rebel MLA’s didn’t post any threat to the party there. Aam Aadmi Party performed poorly both in Goa and Punjab. In Goa it didn’t even open its account and there Punjab performance was poor than in the Lok Sabha elections of 2014.
These elections have some teachings not only for the people who lost and won but for all of us. I have tried to include them in this list:
- Never order DJ and sweets believing on Exit polls. If AAP has Prevented Early Excitement they would have save themselves from embarrassment in public and media.
- Victory is important and not the way how you have earned it. We have learned all our lives that it is important to play fairly than to win by wrong means but Prime Minister Modi proved it wrong. His Shamshaan-Kabristaan remark was purely communal, without permit road show in Varanasi was also wrong so is the conduct of some of his party people (Kasab remark) to polarize the election. But in the end they won and these issues didn't matter now.
- Live your own life that's what we learn from the struggle and failure of Irom Sharmila. The iron lady of Manipur who was on the longest hunger strike to protest against brutalities of AFSPA even when she has wished to have a family live. She didn't even secure more than 90 votes. She wanted to work for her people but what she has earned is discouraging for her. NOTA votes were higher than her votes.
- Listen to everyone before making your opinion. If Rahul Gandhi would not settle on Amrinder Singh the party wouldn't have won the elections.
- Young is through attitude and not through age. Rahul Gandhi and Akhilesh Yadav who were projecting them as young leaders failed to perform against dynamic,energetic Narender Modi.
- Laugh on other's pain. That is the biggest lesson of this elections. When everybody believed that demonetization which has affected farmers, laborers, small businesses badly would have negative effect on election results instead becomes fruitful for BJP because poor was happy to face its pain because those who have money are in trouble. Strange thinking isn't it?
- Grapes are sour. Mayawati's claims after defeat that EVMs were tempered without proof establish this saying again.